Sunday, April 6, 2014

Excerpts from The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Of friendship and love: 

 I don’t know how much longer I can keep going without a friend. I used to be able to do it very easily, but that was before I knew what having a friend was like. It’s much easier not to know things sometimes. And to have French fries with your mom be enough. 

But things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody. 

 “It's great that you can listen and be a shoulder to someone, but what about when someone doesn't need a shoulder? What if they need the arms or something like that? You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love. You just can't. You have to do things.” 

Of reality and life: 

"Do you always think this much, Charlie?" 
"Is that bad?" I just wanted someone to tell me the truth. 
"Not necessarily. It's just that sometimes people use thought to not participate in life." 
"Is that bad?" 
"Yes." 

“Not everyone has a sob story, Charlie, and even if they do, it's no excuse.” 

I walked over to the hill where we used to go and sled. There were a lot of little kids there. I watched them flying. Doing jumps and having races. And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday. And all of those little kids are going to do the things that we do. And they will all kiss someone someday. But for now, sledding is enough. I think it would be great if sledding were always enough, but it isn't.

--

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a novel written by American novelist Stephen Chbosky. My copy of this book literally fall apart. I love, love, love this book. Whoever have not read it yet, please do! They even make a movie from this book. But it is not as great though :(

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012) - IMDb

No comments: